Results tagged ‘ Mets ’
Consider this my contribution to Hope Week.
All bear witness to this fan’s first stroke against the current.
a live 6 win surge for the Yanks and a pleasant change in the AL East
standings following off the All-Star break, the latest item of
discussion by which Yankee fans have unleashed their disdain has
manifested itself with the curious case of Brian Bruney.
Yankee Universe has indulged itself in the familiar of act of berating
the most recent man on the roster delivering less than satisfactory
results.. and there’s nothing Yankee fans do better than releasing
their frustration with humorous criticisms exploiting the current crash and burn failure. [I should know.. Exhibit A: He Who Shall Not Be Named.. Exhibit B: Nuke LaFarnsworth.. Exhibit C: Wilson Betemit.. Exhibit D: The 2008 New York Yankees.. The list is infinite..]
However, this time, for reasons unknown, I have not been hit with the
urge to participate in the blogosphere’s parade against the player with
a lack of success as of yet, so instead, I’ve decided to risk being the
lone wolf on this and attempt to reduce the hostility.
Giving The Guy Some Credit:
- Brun was the guy who went 7.1 innings without allowing a hit at one point at the start of the season.
- Also dominated by virtue of 12 strikeouts in 5.2 innings in April.
- Bad luck hit him with two essentially back to back DL stints.. rust afterward shouldn’t have been a surprise.
- Jose Veras was DFA’d to make room for Brun’s re-return. Rather have Veras?
- He shaved his head and sported a porn star ‘stache this year.
- Insulted K-Rod and kept his cool while the Mets closer threw a tantrum.
- Bruney hadn’t been used since July 10th before today’s appearance.
- Two strikeouts.. two homers.. Post-game response:
“I just wanted to get Mo a save, that’s what a set-up man does.”
A sarcastic comment following a loss isn’t what a fan wants to hear, but after win, c’mon.. that’s funny.
Hope Week, so have some and give the guy a break. At the very least,
try and limit the hasty trade demands/death threats.. Just sayin’.
And that result would be this:
Over/Under an eternity next time National League wins an All Star Game?
- Hope it wasn’t just me who felt like baseball was dying with the odd “this is the last game that will ever be played” sort of feel to the pre-game.. essentially set it up to be anticlimatic. Producer must receive mid-season Overkill Award.
- Pretty weird, yet cool, to see Major League ballplayers starstruck for a change, during their meet and greet with the President.
That fly swatter himself/leader of our nation, Barack Obama, was called on to toss
the first pitch in this All-Star Game.. and he did so with White Sox
gear.. in the home of the Cardinals.. bold. However, just in
case you didn’t detect it from the boos Mr. President, the sea of red
and white in St. Louis didn’t appreciate the lack of bipartisanship..
- This was a needle to the retina.
Was hoping to see a monster shot from Teix during the ASG, but apparently no one was allowed to take it over the wall at Busch.
- Charlie Manuel has some killer managerial tactics.. The guy still has me wondering how you choose to intentionally walk any guy in a lineup literally
full of All-Stars. The walk served up in the 8th robbed Victor Martinez
of an at-bat in the game, while the guy after him, Adam Jones, drove
in a run with a sac fly.. the run that happened to win the game.
Explanation needed as to why the national broadcasts are always the
worst.. Do we not endure enough sportscaster stupidity, Boston a**
kissing and Yankee salary criticisms throughout the year? Just sayin’.
- Your Quick Bit Of Hilarity: Mo nailing down the save.. for none other than Jonathan Papelbon.. and he wasn’t even the one who truly
saved it for Pap, as Crawford’s catch in left robbed what would’ve been a
game-tying home run. MVP honor well deserved.. “Winning pitcher” label
in this one, not so much..
National League, your time will come.. when Mo
Just about fell in love with it..
The second half of the season.. A 10 game homestand in store for the
Yanks, beginning with a three game set against Detroit, following the
next two off days. It’s that time again.
P.S. No Derby post because.. it was unquestionably lame. Did we all really want ‘roids banned in baseball?
Nuke LaFarnworth has just about been replaced by Nuke LaChamberlain.
Nuke: “I held it like an egg.”
Crash: “Yeah, and he scrambled that son of a b****.”
- Still can’t fathom how a game that looked as good as it did at the start could become such a nightmare by the end.
- Digesting The Disaster That Is Joba Chamberlain:
In 17 games this season, he’s lasted more than 6 innings just twice.
9 hits in each of his last 3 outings.. [in just 5.1, 3.2, and 4.1 innings..]
Managed to accomplish a 9 pitch 1st in this one, only to follow it with a 29 pitch 2nd.
Bats jumped on Saunders early.. and he lasted longer than Chamberlain.
Is king of the no-decision.. which may actually be benefiting him.
And he’s beyond delusional.
Joba’s Latest Various Statement’s of Denial:
“I think things are going well.”
“I made great pitches throughout.”
“You can’t change the past.”
“The last two starts is the best my stuff’s been all year.”
[Last two starts: 3.2 innings, 8 runs & 4.1 innings, 5 runs..]
“The sun is going to come up tomorrow.”
I sh*t you not on all of the above.
Jeet with a four hit night.. and a Castillo-esque dropped pop-up. Not kidding. Ball must’ve had a mind of it’s own.. never seen
that happen to the Capt’n.
Another game, another bomb. A-Rod now one behind Palmeiro on the
seemingly pointless all-time HR list now. With or without the ‘roids
though, Alex is a beast.
Posada bare handed play = sick. Facial expression he gave after it =
siiiiick. I’ve realized the reason he and Burnett have the ultimate
chemistry.. badazz’s think alike. Gave Figgins a good stare down.
- Despite the bashing that could [and has been] rained upon Brian Bruney tonight and of late, hey, the guy got it right in the 8th.
- *Virtual bowdown* to Jonathan Sanchez on the would-be perfecto. Uribe must love himself.
Leader Of The Crapfest:
Fact Of Baseball:
Offense gives you five runs, bright idea wouldn’t be to give them back.
Start breathing through your eyelids.
On Deck: Interesting pitching matchup.. Pettitte taking on Jered Weaver. Redemption after that last start by Andy would be much appreciated.
Just when you thought a Chamberslaying
had this one in the loss column..
that short right porch comes in handy.
[Starting to like that jet stream.]
Whatever the case may be, Joba is making it really hard to continue
viewing the guy as a starter. I wouldn’t mind having he and Hughes
switch roles right now.
- Whose bright idea was it to bring back up Cody Ransom?
- Hideki on fire. Way to shut me down.
And the Mets moments never end. One went right through Overbay’s legs in this
one.. Don’t know what it is about the Yanks that makes other teams lose
all capability to field the ball, but it’s funny.
Leave it up to Cano to pick up two hits in this game, neither with
runners in scoring position, and yet still find a way to look lost.
Was caught stealing and the king of the ground out in every other
at-bat, including ending the first inning with one with two men on
base. Two hits though, so I can’t completely trash the performance
today.. but I’m doubting he’d have gotten them if the bases hadn’t been
clear.. just sayin’.
- Jeet, Tex and Mo representing the Yanks in the All-Star Game. As with every year, there are some questionable choices
that I’d love to complain about, but it’s expected so I’ll leave it at
that. I have to say though, this year the National League may have a chance.
- There’s still the Final Vote left.. Kinsler got robbed, so get him in.
Beast Of The Ballgame:
4 innings, one hit, 12 out save. Hell of a job.
Last game with the red hats [at last] with Andy on the mound, coming
off a solid start, to close this series out against Ricky Romero, with
a live 20 scoreless innings streak [meaning he's due to get creamed], for Toronto. How about a four game sweep?
So.. anyone still have a problem with it?
- I’m still in awe of that Pluto shot by Russell Branyan, off the glass of the Mohegan Sun sports bar.. sick.
Thought A-Rod would be the first to hit it there, but must give the guy
credit. Came one strikeout shy of two back-to-back nights with the
Golden Sombrero so he was due for some redemption.
- Have to quote a tweet by Ross, of New Stadium Insider, regarding Joe G. riding Aceves’ magic for a bit too long. “He is bi-polar with his managing. One night he micromanages, the next he autopilots.” Can’t be summed up any better than that. [Aceves was stellar before that mistake though..]
- Also in the category of what-the-hell, who
was that in the 5-hole? Seemed oddly reminiscent of the old Robbie
Cano, but my eyes must deceive me.. Will praise him when he picks up
one of those hits with the game on the line.
- And who was the guy in the 7-spot? Return of Godzilla? Would be about damn time.. Just sayin’.
- Your Quick Bit Of Hilarity:
Apparently the Subway Series never ends, because we got another Met
moment, courtesy of Ichiro Suzuki dropping one in right. Fans at the
stadium naturally let him have it on the next pop up hit his direction,
and after catching it to end the inning Ichiro exacted some revenge with a
not so smart move. Unlike Suzuki, Castillo took it like a man. Fake
ball toss to the stands? Bush league Ichiro, bush league.
- The latest celeb at the stadium.. Jack Nicholson. Had the best seat in the house, sitting right behind home plate. Supposedly had a ball being on the big screen in the ballpark. Did not partake in the wave. Good man.
Leader Of The Crapfest:
6 earned runs allowed on 10 hits through 5.2 innings..
Forget you were facing the Mariners?
- In other news.. Kyle Blanks couldn’t handle a bit of bees? C’mon.. Joba had midges making a home on his neck.. Be a man.. Speaking of, Padres get a delay [lasting all of 52 minutes]
in the 9th inning of a game they obviously weren’t going to win, but
the Yanks were to forced to just suck it up [it the middle of the ALDS]? Death to Bruce Froemming.. [If he happens to pass any time in the near future, I never said this..]
For your amusement:
On Deck: Mr. Badazz facing Brian Tallet to start a four game series with Toronto. Got more one-hit stuff in the tank?
I should say defining embarrassment as well, to cover the Mets’ display of talent this series, but that’s too easy.
Manuel, I pity you.
- Another night Mets escape errors, but the bonehead moves were still in abundance. Reason New York has another team = sheer entertainment.
- Wang finally picks up his first win in over a year and no one cares because Mo’s the story.. tough.
- Randomness.. Wanger needs a sick haircut. Swish could probably come up with something good, but this would be pretty hilarious.
- How ’bout that sarcastic cheer for Castillo every pop-up in his own ballpark? I repeat: The guy is never coming back from that.. Bright side? Blooper/Oddity Of The Year [whatever TYIB Awards wants to call it this year] is his, hands down.
- I shouldn’t put it this way, but.. Robbie, cut the crap. I realize A-Rod’s new found “leave it all up the next guy” tactic [also referred to as taking the walk] has been putting the pressure on ya lately, but Alex wasn’t spared the sympathy, so Cano, figure it out.
- Sorry to put it so bluntly but could someone tell me the worth of Hideki Matsui?
- Closer vs. closer, bases loaded, 3-2 count… and a walk to force in a run. Classic. As a wise man once said.. “It couldn’t have happened to a better guy on the mound.”
Beast Of The Ball Game:
500th save and an RBI to boot. Can’t touch The Sandman.
Mo, thank you for being a Yankee.
On Deck: Joba on the mound, following a solid start in Atlanta, to face Brandon Morrow, currently transitioning back to the starter role, for Seattle. Make it 6 straight.
P.S. For your Off Day Boredom Relief, what Godzilla should consider doing:
[Not what he did on the first pitch.. Matsui is already doing a lot of that.]
P.P.S. Must quote the ever classy Mo from the ESPN interview shown after the game because it defined the man..
When asked about chasing Trever Hoffman, Mo’s response:
“I play the game because I love it.. I don’t chase records, period. I don’t play for records. I play for the New York Yankees.”
When asked about PED’s..
“I don’t even drink coffee.. If the talent that God has given me is not enough, well I have to quit. When I leave this game, I know, deep in my heart, deep in my mind, that I was clean.. Nobody can point a finger at me.”
With this interleague road trip finishing up with the final game of the subway series tonight on ESPN [blehck] thought I’d open up another live blog to suffer/celebrate together, depending on the outcome.. however, with the way the Mets have played, I’m thinking it’ll be the latter. Time for the Crazy Stein.
Game Time: 8:05 p.m. ET
&amp;amp;amp;lt;a href=”http://www.coveritlive.com/mobile.php?option=com_mobile&amp;amp;amp;amp;task=viewaltcast&amp;amp;amp;amp;altcast_code=0d25b4d7b5″ &amp;amp;amp;gt;Game 75: NYY @ NYM&amp;amp;amp;lt;/a&amp;amp;amp;gt;
Not a single error made in the field tonight by the Mets, and wouldn’t you know it.. they look just as helpless.
Beast of the Ballgame:
7 innings, 10 strikeouts, one hit.. just nasty.
A.J. could really rock the throwback McMahon entrance.
[No doubt he got the belt tonight.]
Seems the Jorgie – A.J. duo is working mighty well. Both have a fiery
intensity that the Mets just got burned by tonight [no pun intended]..
Citi Field a massive fly ball serial killer? Yankee bats say otherwise.
Two more bombs tonight making it seem like there are no dimensions the
lineup can’t handle.
Who else is loving the youth takeover? Melk, living for the
competition, took the baton from Gard tonight, picking up a couple of
hits, while making a couple incredible plays in left. Peña contributed
with a double and a solid play at short. Daniel Murphy was robbed thrice because of the two of them.
- Brun.. I’ve missed ya. An easy 8th.. retiring the side on 7 pitches.. Was actually warming up to the porn ‘stache tonight.
- I’ve just realized there isn’t even a lot to say about this one.. summed up simply: dominance.
Wang to take the hill against Livan Hernandez. Wanger improving but
Hughes will undoubtedly be ready to backup, should Wang have
difficulties. Will be hosting another in-gamer for this one. Sweep?
Semi rounding up this past week [rather randomly]:
- Baseball is funny. Exhibit A [B, C, D and especially E]:
The New York Mets. At this point I really don’t know if I should
further their embarrassment.. but I’m going to anyway. *Virtual
bowdown* to the art form of losing they’ve developed. First Luis
Castillo’s epic failure, and now 3 errors in an inning by all
infielders but Luis Castillo.. irony at its best.
- I live for interleague play. Because of it, a pitcher
did the honor of knocking the other out of a game, the big man became
an offensive threat and Mariano, the Sandman, Rivera put on a batting
helmet and hit it hard. I’m seriously thinking the Yankee arms could pinch hit in non-interleague games, if necessary.
Mike Gonzalez is a ginormous weirdo. How does he not get the slow play
fine for his windup alone? It’s like a minor rain delay every pitch. [And like we haven't had enough of those..]
- A-Rod.. glad to have you back. [And I'm not just talking about your bat.. back to women that don't have biceps bigger than yours is a good sign.]
- It’s pretty clear right now that Joe G. is going to play the hot bat to handle the
outfield situation. That currently has Swish sitting out.. [for last
night at least.] What does the Red Bull Manic do on the bench? Sharpie his bat. Classic Swishness.
Happy belated to the Capt’n. Don’t know if he’s in the lineup tonight,
but if he isn’t.. jeezus, Peña makes a hell of a backup. If he is, the
Mets are the perfect opponent to kill the funk.. considering he hasn’t driven
in a run in two weeks, since last facing the blue & orange. DJ’s
cologne bottle is just laughing at him. Yeah, double plays aren’t fun to
ground into, but imagine how fun they are to watch. [Funny how the move to leadoff was supposed to solve that problem huh?] [That didn't quite
turn out to be the Happy Birthday I had in mind..]
- Brett The Jet = Beast. Yeah, the kid has legs.. but 5-6, with a homer at Citi? Beware the beast.
Yours truly is officially a high school graduate. [I'm as surprised as you are.]
Now which Yankee wants to sign my yearbook?
P.S. R.I.P to the man that gave the world P.Y.T.
P.P.S. Will live-blog it tomorrow, for the last game in this interleague road trip. Hope all stop by for the ESPN bashing at least.
.. and they rather cleverly tag-teamed with Mother Nature this time to prove it. Add this series loss [to a team 18 games behind in their division in the middle of June] to the.. surprises
of the Subway Series and you get their point. Don’t underestimate the
level of their cruelty [or count your wins before they're in the
books.. or something like that..]. As if winless against Boston so far
this season wasn’t enough, we must witness this:
- New schedule proposal: 20 games against the Mets next year, how ’bout it? At least then the Yanks could play crummy baseball and still win the games.
- I swear Adam Dunn = Seth Rogan + Wheaties/’Roids.
Congrats to Francisco Cervilli for becoming one of the few in the
game to make a great play that could very well be labeled a blooper at
the same time. Most hilarious dive for a ball ever.
Also in the category of stellar plays is Gardner’s catch and crash.
Can’t even bow down enough to the effort [and overall grittiness] being
displayed by Brett The Jet. That collision last night really didn’t look pretty. Not a moment’s hesitation from entire team to jog out to center when he went down. The kid is vital.
In the category of “about damn time” is Bruney’s re-return and Jose
Veras’ disappearance. No offense to JV, but that DFA was a long time
I’d still love to know why this lineup can’t, for the life of them, hit
rookies. The opposition can pick any random AAA arm out of a hat and
put him on the mound if they want a win against the Yanks these days..
and hey, look, a rook is on the mound for the Marlins tonight.
On Deck: Pettite
will face a 23 year old by the name of Sean West to start a 9 game
interleague roadtrip. Though the Yanks will probably continue to make
young guns looks like Cy Young, pitchers bat in NL parks.. and one
might just slip.
Some pics from Tuesday’s game, if interested:
Okay I lied.. that was more than some.
P.S. Almost forgot.. first homerless game in the Bronx this season last night. Never thought it’d happen.